Thursday, 31 May 2012

Bomb alert ends at TD's office

A security alert at the constituency office of Sinn Féin TD Mary Lou McDonald has ended this afternoon.

The alarm was raised at the Dublin Central TD's office in Dublin's North Strand area this morning.

According to Sinn Féin, "a hoax pipebomb, left at the front door, was discovered by a Sinn Féin constituency office worker".

The party also said graffiti had been daubed on the front of the building.

It is understood the suspicious device was discovered at around 10am.

The area was evacuated and the Army Bomb Disposal Team was dispatched to deal with the incident, but the scene has since been declared safe and all diversions have been lifted.

A spokesperson for the Defence Forces said that the device has been removed for further examination to determine its viability.

Sinn Féin TD Seán Crowe condemned those involved in the incident.

“The people behind this sort of activity have no support,” he said.

“Their actions are pathetic and futile.

“All right thinking people will condemn this attack on the constituency office of a democratically elected TD.

“Sinn Féin will certainly not be deflected from our democratic work and the office has re-opened this morning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment