The sentencing of former Fine Gael Dungarvan town councillor Fred Forsey has been adjourned until next month.
The 43-year-old was back before Waterford Circuit Court today after he was last week found guilty on six counts that he received corrupt payments totalling €80,000 from a property developer to try to get lands rezoned outside of Dungarvan.
WLRFM reports that Judge Gerard Griffin today adjourned sentencing after the court was told of a bereavement in Mr Forsey's legal team.
Sentencing has now been adjourned until June 27 and will be delivered at the Courts of Criminal Justice in Dublin.
His bail conditions were changed and he now has to sign on daily at Dungarvan Garda Station.
Meanwhile Fianna Fáil has called on Environment Minister Phil Hogan to open an independent inquiry into the planning system in Waterford in the wake of Mr Forsey's conviction.
"If we are serious about rebuilding faith in politics in this country, we must be vigorous in rooting out and getting to the bottom of any suggestions of corruption in public affairs," said the party's Environment Spokesperson Niall Collins.
"In the case of former Fine Gael councillor Fred Forsey, we have seen the first conviction on charges of corruption in this country.
"However, there has been a deafening silence from Government on the implications of what the court has found.
"Today I am calling on Minister Phil Hogan to move immediately to instigate an inquiry, independent of his Department, into the planning system in Waterford and specifically into the planning application at the centre of this controversy," Deputy Collins added.
"There can be no hiding place for anyone engaging in corruption."
No comments:
Post a Comment